What is anti-eyebrow piercing? How does it look like? Is it painful, how much does it cost? What if one has an infection? Get insight on this and much more.
For those who do not have any idea about this kind of piercing, anti-eyebrow is a type of facial piercing that is placed below the lower orbit of the eye and above the upper bone of the cheek. This is a surface piercing done just below the skin and meets any bone or muscle of the face. Actually, it is trending as the latest type among fanatics.
It is also known by other names such as upper cheek, butterfly kiss, tears and teardrop piercing. It can come in different styles but this will depend on an individual`s preference. Like vertical anti-eyebrow piercing will be carried out in a vertical direction below the eye. Another style is horizontal anti-eyebrow that is placed on the upper cheek parallel to the eye. Finally, we have a dermal one. In this case, the jewelry is inserted below the skin using micro-dermal anchors.
Jewelry to use
Because this is a surface piercing, it is recommended that it should be done with a surface bar. It is also very important to use jewelry that is exactly the right size to avoid migration and rejection.
The type of preferred jewelry will depend on some factors like the skin thickness or density of a person, the face of an individual and the type of piercing (whether horizontal or vertical).
The piercing also should be done by a qualified professional piercer. Remembers that the cost of the jewelry will depend on the material, size and the jewelry shop. So below are some of the jewelry that can be used:
- Gold rook curved eyebrow jewelry
- Black rook cartilage Eyebrow jewelry
- Curved barbell with gem Anti Eyebrow jewelry
- Tiny gold barbell jewelry
- Double jeweled curved Anti eyebrow jewelry in different colors
- Anti-eyebrow rings with spike and ball head
- Spike and ball head curved barbell anti-eyebrow piercing
- Cylinder and cone curved eyebrow jewelry
- Double cube curved anti-eyebrow jewelry
Anti-Eyebrow piercing cost
The cost will depend on the popularity, location, and level of expertise. Again the price of anti-eyebrow will vary from one studio to the other. Above all, we must always remember to go for quality piercers to ensure that we attain successful piercing which has no effect on our health. Therefore you should choose the most reliable and experienced piercer. You should also find high-quality jewelry that is safe for your body. Normally the cost of Anti-eyebrow piercing will range from $30 to $80.
Pain level and Procedure
Do anti-eyebrow piercing hurts? Now, it should be clear to you that capacity of tolerating pain varies from one individual to another. It is also good to understand that; proper placement of the piercing may reduce the pain experienced during the process. Therefore, before jumping into the process, the area to be pierced should be clearly defined. This will be achieved by pinching and manipulating the patient’s facial nerves.
In this case, the piercer may opt for two major known methods. These methods are, clamp and pierce method or the new dermal punch and taper method. It is upon the patient to inquire what type of piercing is going to be used during piercing.
Piercing procedure should start with a piercer disinfecting the chosen area to be pierced. He/she should then sterilize the needle and insert it through the skin. Actually, anti-eyebrow piercing is a little bit more painful than other regular eyebrow piercing.
What do anti-eyebrow piercings in men and women meaning
Being a trending type of piercing among the young generation. It can be done by both men and women. The reasons why one may choose this kind of facial piercing will vary from one person to another.
However, there is a very important question behind facial piercing that we need to ask ourselves. How do people perceive them? It is very true that they can change the way people will judge or perceive your attractiveness, personality, and characteristics.
A good number of researches have shown that not facial piercing is as attractive. To get deeper into this, they are more rated negative in men than in women. The major stereotype connected men with facial piercing are always not serious and rebellious.
It is also true that some do enhance beauty especially in women but what are we going to do to change people’s bad perception of facial piercings and related stereotypes? Well, it is not good to judge others people lives but it is good to understand that our reasons for having them should not relate to any criminal activity that can limit others` freedom and rights.
Aftercare tips and healing time
The healing process of an anti-eyebrow piercing takes 6-8 weeks. During this healing time should be properly taken care of to avoid vulnerability towards infections. So below are some of the anti-eyebrow after-care tips we have for you:
- You should not drink alcohol or take any drug during the healing process otherwise; your healing process will be delayed. Taking drug during this period can even lead to piercing infection.
- You should understand that bleeding (immediately) or develop redness in some few days after the process is normal, therefore you should not try to remove the jewelry since it may be very difficult to place it back
- Rotating or moving the jewelry may lead to infections, scars, and pain. So you should not rotate or move the jewelry.
- Refrain from using creams in your face until your piercing heals.
- It is also good to note that clear or colorless fluid that may come out of it, this is normal. Therefore, you should not be worried about it.
- The piercing area should be cleaned daily with clean hands, warm water and anti-bacterial soap.
- After you are done with cleaning, dry the area with a clean towel.
- Remember that using saline water will help you speed the healing process. It should be applied with a cotton ball.
- You should use recommended products to aid the healing process of your piercing. For this case, you can use swabs and a piercing aftercare spray. These products will help to kill bacteria and help protect the healthy living cells. The patient should strictly follow the instructions given alongside with these products.
Anti-eyebrow piercing Infections
Any piercing can be infected if proper good care is not taken upon it. Piercing infections are usually caused by bacteria, fungi, yeast and some other pathogenic microorganism due to the piercer`s poor hygiene or the poor personal hygiene of the patient. Sometimes, you will find an individual touching the piercing with dirty hands, swimming in chlorinated pools and using dirty beddings.
Some piercers also do make mistakes by not using sterilized needles. These two may lead to infections. Application of some creams on the face before the piercing heals can also aid infections. Therefore, before having you it, you should be convinced that your hygienic level is good and that of your piercer too.
Signs and symptoms of infections
Now you are there having your piercing and you can’t tell whether it is infected or not. You should go through these signs and symptoms to assist you to tell whether your piercing is infected or not:
a. Swelling, redness, and tenderness
Swelling, redness, and tenderness that will develop around the pierced site few days after having it will be normal. However, if these conditions do not disappear after 7-10 days, then it is likely to be infected. So you should move with speed to get appropriate medication before the situation worsens. It can be significant to take some anti-inflammatory medications but make sure that you bring the situation to your doctor’s attention.
b. Experiencing burning sensation
Another common symptom infection is experiencing burning sensation due to an allergic reaction. This condition will most of the time be accompanied by yellowish discharge coming from the piercing site. In this case, an allergic reaction may be due to body care products. You should also check if the jewelry material might be the cause of the allergy. If the jewelry material is the cause of the allergy, then you should consult your piercer for an alternative. Sometimes again, a similar effect may be triggered when the jewelry is too tight or loose leading to irritation.
c. Experiencing abnormal pain
You should understand that most of the time, infections will be painful. Experiencing pain several hours after the piercing is normal but when the pain persists beyond 2-3 days afterward, then should you think of an alternative. Therefore, it will be a good idea to get some over the counter medication to help hasten the relief of the pain as you seek further possible treatment.
d. Developing bumps or abscess on your piercing.
When you have a swollen area within the body tissue, you can be sure that this is an indication of piercing infection. These conditions usually develop because of poor drainage in the pierced site. It can also be due to the presence of foreign materials, this will make your body to react and fight the foreign material. There are variety of home remedies available that will help you get rid of bumps and abscess.
e. Fever, nausea, chills and function loss
If you start experiencing fever, cold chills, and nausea, then this could be an indication that your piercing is having a serious infection. For this situation, the bacteria or pathogen attached to the infection could be systematic to your body. All you need to do in such situation is to immediately report to your medical service provider.
Another symptom is experiencing loss of function, which will especially occur around the pierced site.
What to consider?
It is very important to note that some of the mentioned symptoms may not clearly indicate whether the infection is mild or severe. Some other factors such as abnormal bleeding, rejection, and migration can also reveal the presence of infection in your piercing. So one needs to be very keen on the signs and symptoms of the infection so that their onset can be noticeable. It is advisable that immediately you notice any sign or symptom, you visit your doctor immediately.
Treatments and remedies for Anti-eyebrow infection
- Using saline solution-, this is one of the popular ways of treating infected piercing. Saline (salty soak) is prepared by mixing ¼ teaspoon of sea salt per eggcup or glass of warm water. Use the solution to clean the area around it. You will be required to repeat the process 3 times in a day until you gain the desired result. During cleaning, one can use cotton swabs or balls.
- Use of warm and cold compresses– Warm compresses aid more blood flow into pierced region whereas cold compresses can be used to help in the case of swollen, painful or arching piercing. For warm compresses, clean piece of cloth is dipped into warm water and then applied to the area around it until it cools. When it comes to cold compress application, it is very important to note that, the ice should not be applied directly to the piercing. This may destroy cell tissues. So you will just wrap the ice on a clean piece of cloth and then apply it the area around it.
- Application of Anti-biotic creams and gels– This kind of medication will be ideal especially where the doctor has determined that the piercing infection is due to bacteria. Many people don’t like using anti-biotic to heal the infected case but so far, there is no any prove brought forward to show that anti-biotic affects the healing process. But remember to seek your doctor`s advice concerning the application of this kind of medication.
- Use of prescribed Antibiotics-In situations where the infection is severe, doctors could recommend various antibiotics. So in case, you have an infection all you need to do is to strictly follow your doctor`s instructions.
- Natural home remedies- Natural home remedies for infected piercing is also very helpful. These natural home remedy products will include vinegar, aloe vera, turmeric, Indian lilac among others. Most of the time, these products will fight bacteria related infections. You should remember to get a good clue before applying any of the home remedy products to treat your infection. This is because the application of these products will depend on the root of your piercing infection. After having employed natural home remedies and the infection persists, please visit your doctor immediately.
Generally, when your mind is made up that you want to have a piercing, then below is what you should put into consideration:
- Before having any piercing, you should clearly establish the reason as to why you want to have one.
- Ensure it is done by a qualified professional piercer
- High standards of hygiene should maintain during the process to prevent infection vulnerabilities
- Make sure have good aftercare immediately you get out of the piercing studio
- Please educate yourself on the signs and symptoms infections. In situations where you apply home remedies and the infection don’t disappear, please visit your doctor immediately.