Why do I have dark spots on tongue? Discover the causes of dark spots tongue including under, side, tip, on baby tongue and treatment.
- What causes dark spots on tongue?
- Dark spot under tongue and pictures
- Dark spot on side of tongue
- Dark spot on tip of tongue
- Dark spots on baby tongue
- Small spots on tongue
- How to treat, cure dark spots on tongue
- Prevention tips for dark spots on tongue
What causes dark spots on tongue?
The tongue of a person is used to define various health condition and therefore, the occurrence of spotted tongue may create a lot of concern or it may be alarming to the affected person. Causes of these dark spots or marks include:
1. Hairy tongue
It is also known as Lingua villosa nigra. Hairy tongue is the major cause of dark spots on tongue due to excessive alcohol consumption, a soft diet, poor oral hygiene, fungal infection, dry mouth or excessive use of tobacco, by either chewing or smoking.
2. Recurrent tongue injuries
When the tongue is repetitively bitten may lead to development of dark spots on tongue due to healing scars. Application of dental appliances that can injure the tongue also can trigger the appearance of these dark spots on the tongue.
3. Pregnancy period
Some of the women during pregnancy period experience growth of dark spotted tongue. Also, some women who are fond of using contraceptive may experience these since both pregnancy and contraceptives causes hormonal imbalance that may trigger dark spotted tongue.
4. Reaction to Medications
Dark spots on tongue in some cases may occur due to allergies and reactions to some type of certain drugs. Those drugs that causes dark spots on tongue contain bismuth salicylate, an asthma drug, anti-depressant, and some kinds of antibiotics.
5. Tongue Piercing
If you are fond of tongue piercing as a way of fashion, expect to experience dark spots on tongue due to pigmentation because of healing process of the scars.
6. Oral Fibroma
This is a conical tongue tissue that appear as dark bump on top of the tongue and most cases is not associated with cancer of the mouth since is caused by tongue trauma.
7. Tongue Cancer
This is a type of mouth cancer that usually attack cells of the tongue. It is majorly triggered by repeated trauma to the tongue, for example, the tongue is often bitten, Consuming old betel and Chewing tobacco.
This is a condition whereby the tongue is excessively pigmented. This hyperpigmentation is caused by anemia, bad habits excessive coffee consumption, stress and fatigue, lack of nutrition and how to maintain oral hygiene is wrong.
9. Fungal infection
Candida albicans oral or oral fungal infections are infections of the tongue caused by fungal growth on the tongue. This is due to appearance of mold on the tongue is a sheer lack of cleanliness of the tongue, such as irregular toothbrushes, drinking alcohol, smoking and other bad habits.
10. Excessive exposure to harsh chemicals
When the tongue is exposed to bismuth, it can react with acids naturally found on the tongue and cause the tissue temporarily to turn dark. The main source of these chemicals includes chewable Pepto-Bismol tablets.
Dark spot under tongue and pictures
What is the meaning of dark spots under my tongue? Besides having dark spots on top of the tongue, it is possible again to have them under the tongue. Are you disturb by these spots under your tongue? It is advisable to treat them if only you can identify the cause but it is recommended to seek medication from a specialist.
Some of the causes of dark spots under tongue include:
- Reaction to Medications
- Tongue Piercing
- Oral Cancer
- Oral Fibroma
- Hairy Tongue
Note: melanoma is among the major causes of dark spots under your tongue. Melanoma is a type of cancer that results from pigment cells that gives your skin the color. It can occur on any part of your body including under the tongue or sides of mouth.
Dark spot on side of tongue
In some occasion, these dark marks or spot may develop on the side of the tongue. They might appear on both sides of the tongue or on the either side whether large or small in size. Dental appliances are the most common causes of dark spots on the side of tongue.
Other causes include:
- Adrenocortical insufficiency,
- Malignant melanoma
- Tobacco chewing, etc.
Dark spot on tip of tongue
Appearance of spots on tip of tongue could be caused by various factors such as smoking, injuries due to tasting hot food, drinking alcohol, tobacco chewing etc. However, they are sometimes not painful and harmless. In some cases, especially when related to some diseases and conditions, they could hurt.
This problem can be noticed on both toddler and adults.
Read more on causes of dark spots on tongue
Dark spots on baby tongue
Dark spots on a baby’s tongue would most likely be due to some increased pigmentation. This can be considered normal and is usually found more commonly in darker-skinned individuals. It also can be considered hereditary. However, it is advisable to visit a reputable pediatrician near you.
Small spots on tongue
According to researchers, there is no particular cause of these tiny spots on tongue but studies shows that they are also caused by poor oral hygiene, hyperpigmentation, oral cancer, injuries or trauma, allergic reactions, medical conditions, excessive alcohol consumption and smoking among other causes.
How to treat, cure dark spots on tongue
To treat tongue with dark spots, you must know the underlying cause and deal with it. Some of the general ways to deal with this problem include:
- It can be done by changing your oral hygiene routine through brushing the tongue.
- If it still continues and dark spots do not disappear, you should consult with a physician.
- Avoid smoking and excessive intake of alcohol
- Use of Neem leaves to remove dark stains on the tongue surface
- Gargle with cinnamon and clove water since it helps in fighting various bacterial infections in your mouth that stains your tongue.
- Gargle garlic and coconut oil solution that assists to fights the fungal infections in your mouth and also helps in detoxing and pulling off the stains.
Prevention tips for dark spots on tongue
- Maintain proper Oral hygiene since there are dark spots that are caused by some foods.
- Change or improve personal lifestyle free from smoking and chewing tobacco.
- Take sufficient and quality roughages
- Follow doctors’ instructions.
You may also like
- Red Spots on Legs Causes, Pictures Including Small, Itchy, Non Itchy Dots on Legs
- Purple Tongue Causes Including Spots, Under Tongue Veins & Bumps
- Why Is My Tongue Green? Green Tongue Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis
- Yellow Tongue Causes, With Dry Mouth, Bad Breath, Sore Throat, in Baby and Treatment
- Orange Tongue Causes, Symptoms, in Toddlers, with Sore Throat and Cures
- Black Spots on Tongue: http://medicaltreasure.com/black-spots-on-tongue/
- Black Spots on Tongue: Causes of Small, Tiny Black Spot on Tongue: http://www.tandurust.com/oral-care/black-spots-on-tongue.html
- Why Are There Spots on Your Tongue? http://www.healthline.com/health/dental-and-oral-health/spots-on-tongue#Overview1
- Black Spots on Tongue: http://www.md-health.com/Black-Spots-On-Tongue.html
- Black spots on tongue: http://www.wowremedies.com/black-spots-on-tongue-causes-and-treatment/
- Zocdoc: https://www.zocdoc.com/answers/6424/what-are-the-dark-spots-on-my-tongue