What is lip waxing? What does it involve and how long does it last? Is it the better option for lip hair removal or as a removal technique? Get the answers to these and guiding tips to lip waxing including the pros and possible side effects.
First though, a quick go-through for the frequently asked questions (FAQs) regarding lip waxing.
- FAQ1: What is it
- FAQ 2: How is it done?
- FAQ 3: How long does waxing last?
- FAQ 4: Will hair regrow?
- FAQ 5: Does it hurt?
- FAQ 6: What are the different kinds?
- FAQ 7: How do I prepare?
- FAQ 8: How do I know my wax is the right working temperature?
- FAQ 9: Should I take a shower before I wax?
- Preparation – what you should do and/not do
- How to remove lip peel strip
- Post-wax care
- Waxing lower or upper lips pros and cons
- Side effects
FAQ1: What is it
Waxing is a depilatory hair removal method where hair is removed from the follicular roots for longer lasting results. Common with use of formulations in salons or at home, lip waxing is done to not only remove hair but also to have a longer-lasting effect.
FAQ 2: How is it done?
As a depilatory procedure, wax is applied to often the upper lip skin where the hair remain stuck to the wax. However, for enhanced results and reduced chances of bad effects, consider going to a salon near you for more procedure tips or get your lips waxed.
FAQ 3: How long does waxing last?
Usually, when wax is removed from the lip surface, it will cling on to the hairs leaving your skin smooth for a few weeks (approximately 4 – 6 weeks).
FAQ 4: Will hair regrow?
After lip waxing, hair will grow after sometime. The duration and the extent to which hair is removed can be termed as temporal.
Hair regrowth is expected after at least three weeks after waxing. In some people can occur after 6 – 8 weeks. Hair which grows after you have your lips waxed is softer. However, hair will grow back thinly compared to what you had initially.
FAQ 5: Does it hurt?
Often, a tingling sensation can be felt immediately after waxing. This is reportedly so, since the nerve endings need to respond to the wax.
Even though, when some people get used to waxing, the discomfort becomes lesser and lesser. Above all, pain during or after waxing largely depends on one’s self.
FAQ 6: What are the different kinds?
Usually, you can opt for a hard wax or strip wax depending on the area you don’t need the unwanted hair. With lip waxing, hard waxing is more of a choice for many people because of the sensitivity of the lip areas.
Hard wax is applied thickly whereas strip wax is done thinly. (Hard wax is good for a smaller area). This can also be used on eyebrows, underarms and bikini area.
FAQ 7: How do I prepare?
We shall highlight the important things to consider before or when you are about to begin waxing. Meanwhile, ensure that you did with your preparations (exfoliation or facial cleansing) earlier – not less than 24 hours to your next waxing.
FAQ 8: How do I know my wax is the right working temperature?
As it were, try to feel the temperate in your wrist after heating it. More importantly, if it is your debut practicing this hair removal techniques, use your wax on a small area as a sample. Neither should the wax be too hot or warm so that it can potentially cause harm on your skin nor leave it to cool and begin to break while in the course.
“Wax is at an ideal consistency and temperature when it resembles honey and glides easily over your skin.” [waxaway.com.au]
FAQ 9: Should I take a shower before I wax?
Taking a shower, especially a hot shower, is more likely to cause further bruising and reddening of the skin. Therefore, avoid hot or even just taking bath if you are preparing to do upper lip waxing.
In fact, as part of preparations, it is better if you wait an hour or two before commencing your waxing treatment.
Preparation – what you should do and/not do
These are some of the best guidelines and restrictions before actually waxing your lips.
- Exfoliate your lip area, esp. the upper lip, a day before to remove and help shed more dead skin cells
- If you are to do it at your home ensure you are not trying it for the first time or get some helpful advice in advance
- Do not take a shower when you know you will be waxing your lips
- Avoid certain “nerve-ending activators” such as caffeine when there are few hours or a few minutes before waxing
- Ensure your hair is at least 2mm from the skin surface
- In case you have unusually long or overgrown hair, trim it to approx. 2 – 4mm
- Ensure the lip area to be waxed is clean dry and don’t apply any creams (oil-free)
- If you live I hot and humid conditions, apply some baby powder or talcum prior to waxing
During waxing, you can do it with your colleague (of course who has right ideas on how to do it). You can also ask your health provider if it could be right for you to take some pain reliever medicine before you do wax.
Additionally, on the day of the waxing service, clients are advised to avoid perfumes, scrubs, and any skin products which are potentially skin irritants.
How to remove lip peel strip
Using water is not encouraged as many waxes are made from an oil-based resin. Therefore, to remove the strips you need a dissolver. To remove the residue you may need vegetable oil or olive oil.
Helpful tips while removing the peel-off strips.
- Press firmly on the wax to ensure it has stuck on to the hairs
- After you have removed it, immediately apply pressure to relieve of discomforts
- Smooth the strip remover over the wax direction of hair growth
- While removing avoid brushing even with your hands
- Again while removing wax, try tightening your muscles or use your hands to hold the skin
- Do not scrub off any strip peel-off residue with water
To avoid much discomforts from bruising or the wax from breaking while removing, it is better you go for lip waxing salon service near you. Common wax ingredient formulations comprise the following.
- Untreated Gum Rosin
Perhaps you may be wondering why you did not see hair removal. What went wrong? Removal of hair may not be reached, if you did not exfoliate, clean your skin or just went into doing it before an hour or so elapsed (i.e. even if you did prepare your skin).
Keep in mind that, regardless of whether you adhered to the ways of preparing your skin or not, incorrect waxing techniques may lead to similar side effects such as bruising, redness, irritation or peeling skin.
24-hour skin care is good for anyone who has successfully had a lip waxing as a hair removal technique.
- Minimize time spent outdoor or sun exposure
- Avoid applying moisturizers and lotions including make-up if you have waxed your whole face (for 24 hours)
- Hot water, Saunas, hot showers,
- Avoid things or activities that cause sweating immediately after you have waxed
- Resist facial-stimulating treatments
- Stop swimming or staying in chlorinated can ignite or increase irritation
Anyone needs to be careful after waxing. With redness being difficult to hide, it is difficult to endure irritation or pain and swelling at a go. These are some of the things you need to follow to the latter.
- In case there is constant pain or suspect you have ingrown hairs, see your professional or whoever did wax your lips
- Consider cold compress to reduce pain
- If you continually experience pain or increased sensitivity in skin, seek medical advice or treatment where necessary
Waxing lower or upper lips pros and cons
Despite there being something happy to be about this kind of hair removal, there could be a few disadvantages.
“I have used all three methods to remove unwanted hair from my face (which no woman ever wants to admit, but it’s reality ladies, so don’t be ashamed!). Out of the three, threading was the best investment. I had my facial hair threaded over a period of two months and found amazing results.” Notes mypleasurefantasy, author at Bellatory.
Pros and cons
Some of the advantages of this hair removal technique include:
- Lip waxing is a quick and cost efficient method
- Inexpensive, especially for upper lips and eyebrows
- Hair grows back finer than before
- Lasts 6 to 8 weeks before hair regrowth
- A boost in self-confidence especially in lades and women with such unwanted upper lip hair
- Smoothens your skin for easier make-up application
The cons, on the other hand, include the following.
- Upper lip waxing can be painful and will cause discomforts tender the whole day after waxing.
- One has to wait for the hair to be 2mm to 1cm before another lip waxing
- Though hair growing back is not the main aim for this, the hair itself thins out after regrowth can be a disadvantage for some people
- It can lead to breakouts on upper lip or waxed area and nearby areas
- Causes redness and sometimes bleeding since some skin layer may be taken off
- Some people are allergic to wax ingredients
Does waxing upper lip or lower ones come with side effects? is best done by a professional, it’s not worth risking burns or causing scabs doing it at home, and salons can select the most safe and gentle formulas for the face.
- There has been reports of loss of skin suppleness and elasticity over time
- People may be increasing chances of lip wrinkling
- Some people are at risk of facial ingrown hairs
- Redness and bruising or bleeding after skin peeling
- Increased risks of infection
- Allergic reactions
You can minimize the probability of these side effects by following recommended treatment procedures before and after waxing. Otherwise, avoid it if your skin is sunburnt.
Waxing can be a considerably cost-effective means of removing unwanted hair in most of body parts (if not all body parts).
However, it may be lees of your worth and effort if it is accompanied with discomforts such as too much bruising on skin or bleeding. If you want to significantly reduce these after-wax effect, think about seeing a specialized salon care provider near you.
There are other optional lip hair removal methods such as shaving and laser. Costs and techniques may vary but you need to decide which will fit your personal terms and go for the best.
Luckily, some people who have done it on regular basis, by following the best way to make the whole experience less painful, have found it working for them. Lastly, don’t wax frequently.