Are you suffering from an itchy scalp without any sign of dandruff? Can one develop dry itchy flaky scalp with no dandruff? Well in most cases, not all itchy scalp is caused by dandruff, at times one may experience very itchy scalp due to other conditions or diseases affecting the scalp or elsewhere in the body. From here, you will be up-to-date with itchy scalp no dandruff causes, flaky scalp no dandruff, recommended shampoos, preventions and solutions for itchy scalp no dandruff.
- Causes of itchy scalp no dandruff
- Itchy flaky scalp no dandruff
- Remedies to relieve itchy scalp no dandruff
- Home remedies for itchy scalp no dandruff
- Tip on how to prevent or reduce itchy scalp no dandruff
Causes of itchy scalp no dandruff
Now, if you are having problems with itchy scalp with no dandruff, then all you need is to go through this article because, your scalp itching may be due to one or more of these itchy scalp no dandruff causes:
Scalp fungal infections
Having infection on the scalp can lead to some sort of dandruff but this is not always the case. Fungal infection such as ringworm can also lead to itchy scalp without the presence of the dandruff. This kind of infection can start in a small portion of the scalp then spread to the entire head if no prompt medical attention is offered. In it severe state, it can lead to itchy scalp and hair loss.
Usually lice do make a habitat on our scalp as it feeds on the blood. Lice bites can therefore lead to allergic reaction which can lead to itchy red scalp. They also lay eggs which trigger allergic reaction too. So if you are having problems with itchy scalp and you are sure it is all not about dandruff then check for head lice. Lice bites are accompanied by reddish bumps on the scalp. This will make experience itchy scalp without dandruff. Once you discover this bothersome and worrisome insect on your scalp, please see your doctor to advise you on ways to get rid of them.
Dry and itchy scalp
When your scalp is exposed to direct sunlight, high temperature or if you wash your hair frequently without moisturizing it, then you are likely to be a victim of itchy scalp no dandruff. Very dry scalp could indicate that your scalp skin is dehydrated or is lacking water and protective oil layer. So, when your scalp get dry, your sebaceous gland will react by producing more sebum. It will be very unfortunate if they produce it in excess. The excess sebum (natural body oil) can clog the pores leading to scalp acne breakout. This will definitely lead to itchy scalp without no dandruff.
Reaction to hair products
Are you experiencing itchy scalp and it is neither about dandruff nor lie? Good, this could be due to allergic reactions to products you use to care for your hair. In this case, you can examine on the new products that you have just applied. According to Hair.knowfacts.org, “Your scalp could be reacting to your shampoo or conditioner and the itching could be as a result of contact dermatitis. Some ingredients like Sulphate in shampoos have been said to cause scalp itching”
Allergic reaction can also be due to side effects of certain medications and some foods. These are often accompanied by generalized itchy bumps that can cover large area including the scalp or the whole body.
If not treated in time, the itching will trigger scratching that would lead to scalp skin damage leading to more complicated infections. Looking for best shampoo for itchy sensitive scalp may be of a greater help.
Unusual changes in the level of body hormones can also be among the reasons for itchy scalp without dandruff. Such hormonal disorders are usually experienced during puberty, pregnancy, periods and menopause. This is what happens, upsurge in the level of some sex hormones will influence the the oil producing glands to be overactive hence producing extra oils. This in combination with dead skin cells in the scalp will clog the body pores resulting to scalp acne breakout. This for sure will flare up some itchy bumps on the scalp.
Mites on the scalp
These are very tinny insect which can also cause itching on the scalp. Seeing them with necked eyes is usually hectic so you should consult your doctor to do the diagnosis for you. They are always examined under microscope. They will cause itchy scalp small red bumps or red itchy scalp.
Hot water or shower
Using hot water to wash your hair or to shower can lead to extremely itchy scalp without dandruff. Hot water will wash away the protective oil on your scalp hence may lead to severe dry scalp and thus resulting to itching and scratching that would lead to very painful sore or leads to secondary infection that may lead to more complications.
Tight braids and extensions
Tight braids and plaits and extensions can also lead to itching in scalp no dandruff. Tight braiding may pull the hair leading small itchy bumps. Extension can also can increased perspiration on the scalp leading to sweat rush. This can make your scalp to be extremely itchy.
Physical trauma to the scalp
Physical trauma to the scalp such as bruises and cuts can lead to open wounds or sore on the scalp. When such wounds and sores will start to heal, you scalp may experience some itching sensation. This kind of itching will be present without any dandruff. Such trauma may also be experienced even during hair transplant.
Itchy flaky scalp no dandruff
Usually, scalp flaking is as a result of dry scalp and this is very different from dandruff even if flaking usually goes hand in hand with dandruff. So apart from dandruff, other causes of flaking include:
- Scalp psoriasis and eczema
- Accumulation of hair products
- Shampooing too often
- Cool weather
- Not properly rinsing out shampoo
Remedies to relieve itchy scalp no dandruff
Itchy scalp treatments options for scalp without dandruff solely depend on the causes. Treating underlying condition or disease is the best idea so far. Such treatment will range from over the counter treatments or prescribed treatments to home remedies. In this section we are going to explore more on the best shampoo for itchy scalp no dandruff as well as effective home remedies.
Shampoo for dry itchy scalp no dandruff
When suffering itching on scalp without dandruff, there are several shampoos that will help you contain this situation. But before you apply any shampoo for dry scalp not dandruff, make a wise decision. Remember if you rush you will just end with shampoo that can irritate your scalp. There are specific ingredients in a shampoo you should be going for.
Certain medicated shampoo containing ingredients such as ketoconazole, coal tar, selenium, salicylic and corticosteroids can really help in relieving itchy scalp with no dandruff. More ingredients such as biotin and flucfluocinolone found is shampoos can also help.
If you don’t have sufficient information about the best shampoo for your itchy scalp without dandruff, then you see your specialist for further advice.
Example of few recommended shampoos are; Selsun Blue Dandruff Shampoo and Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Lavender Mint Moisturizing Shampoo among others. But promise before you opt for any shampoo, you have to consult your specialist?
Home remedies for itchy scalp no dandruff
In instances where shampoo do not prove to be effective, there are also some natural remedies that can relive itchy scalp no dandruff where shampoo will not. So here are some home remedies for itch scalp without dandruff you can try:
Apple cider vinegar
This product is among the most effective natural cure for itchy scalp. It is readily available in our kitchens. To try out this wonderful product you, will need to soak your scalp with apple cider vinegar and leave it there for about ½ an hour. You can thereafter wash it using water. Using apple after washing your hair will be very effective I can assure you. Try this remedy for quick and effective itchy scalp relief.
Apply tea tree oil
Tea tree oil also known as melaleuca is an essential oil that has got antioxidant and antimicrobial significance that can really help in calming itchy oil. It fights everything that can cause itchy scalp no dandruff, I mean bacteria, fungus and viruses. Many researchers have proved that this essential oil is perfect for dealing with inflammatory conditions such as Psoriasis among others. Just apply pure tea oil and massage on your hair and scalp and wait for 20 minutes then rinse off. You can also blend it with other proved essential oils to improve its effectiveness
Rinse using lemon juice
Lemon can also be used to control itchy scalp. Be sure to apply some lemon juice on your scalp and leave it for about 10 minutes and then wash it off. One thing you should know about this remedy is that, it can help control itchiness but prolonged use can lead to hair thinning. In cases of itchy hair no dandruff, make sure you dilute the juice using water. Be sure about your scalp skin sensitivity before application.
Apply hair and scalp mask
Applications of ingredients such as honey, avocado and banana to mask your scalp can also help in relieving the itchy scalp. Hairstylecolor.org proves that, “This ingredient like honey is an ancient remedy for wound healing, with many reports suggesting that the microorganisms found in honey help fight bacteria and fungi.” Hair and scalp mask are usually good remedy to treat itchy scalp since they fights bacteria that can cause scalp acne and is only applied for a few weeks.
This is always an excellent natural moisturizer that is very ideal for itchy dry flaky scalp. It also has antiseptic and antibacterial properties that makes it potent for treating itchy scalp. All you need is to get fresh aloe gel and then apply it directly on scalp. You should then leave it for about 15 minutes before you rinse it off.
More natural home products that can also help treat itchy scalp no dandruff are sesame oil, witch hazel, jojoba oil and baking soda.
Tip on how to prevent or reduce itchy scalp no dandruff
Thought not all causes of itchy scalp no dandruff can be controlled, there are those that can be prevented. Remember prevention is the most important stage of treating your itchy scalp. Try this tips to prevent or reduce the risk of suffering from itchy scalp no dandruff:
- Make sure you hair and scalp is kept clean to avoid lice and mice infestation. Regular scalp and hair cleaning will also get rid of worrisome build-ups on the scalp could lead to itchiness
- Avoid exposing you hair or yourself to direct sunlight or increased temperatures, this could lead to dry scalp leading to itching.
- Avoid using harsh chemicals and contaminated water on your scalp. Only use medicated shampoos friendly for your hair and scalp.
- Drink a lot of water to make sure your body is well hydrated to avoid dry scalp
- Make sure you keep your combs and hair brushes clean and don’t share them to avoid spreading infections that could lead to itchy scalp
- Keep a healthy diet to avoid thyroid and overactive oil glands problems
- Stress, depression and anxiety are the triggers for many skin conditions and so can apply to your scalp too. Try to avoid them. Consult your medical service provider on how to overcome them
- Always brush your hair regularly and carefully to enhance proper blood circulation in the scalp.
In case these home remedies and shampoos fail to give a positive result. Consult your doctor as soon as possible since your itchy scalp without dandruff could be due to severe hidden medical condition that may be life-threatening. The doctor may recommend other strong medical treatments depending on the causes and the severity of the underlying symptoms.
You may also like
- Itchy Bumps on Scalp, Small, Red, Painful Causes & Treatment
- Dry Itchy Scalp Causes, Treatment, Best Shampoo, Home Remedies for Very Very Dry Flaky Itchy Scalp
- Itchy Scalp at Night Causes, Symptoms, Relieve Treatments and Home Remedies
- Best Shampoo for Itchy scalp and Choosing Good Shampoo to Get Rid of an Itchy Scalp with Dandruff
- Itchy scalp Causes, Best Shampoos, Creams, Home Remedies, Treatments for Instant Relief
- Homemade Itchy Scalp Remedies, Tips, Symptoms and Causes of an Itchy Scalp
1. Itchy Scalp No Dandruff Causes, Shampoos, Home Remedies for Itchy Scalp without Dandruff: http://hair.knowfacts.org/itchy-scalp/itchy-scalp-no-dandruff-causes-shampoos-home-remedies-for-itchy-scalp-without-dandruff/
- Itchy scalp with no dandruff, causes and remedies: https://www.hairyscalp.com/itchy-scalp-with-no-dandruff-causes-and-remedies.html
- Itchy scalp no dandruff or lice: http://healthquestions.medhelp.org/itchy-scalp-no-dandruff-or-lice
- Itchy Scalp, No Lice, Not Dandruff: http://www.ourhealth.com/conditions/i-cannot-get-a-diagnosis/itchy-scalp-no-lice-not-dandruff
- SCALP ITCH OF DOOM (but no dandruff): http://ask.metafilter.com/295271/SCALP-ITCH-OF-DOOM-but-no-dandruff
- Crazy itchy scalp, no dandruff: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=55718
- Itchy Scalp No Dandruff Causes, Flakes, Remedies, Shampoo, Redness, and Extremely Itchy: http://www.hairstylecolor.org/dandruff/itchy-scalp-no-dandruff-causes-flakes-shampoo-redness/
- Itchy Scalp With No Flaking: http://www.livestrong.com/article/308504-itchy-scalp-with-no-flaking/