How do I get rid of dry scalp and what are the causes it? Having dry scalp can be very hard to bear especially when it becomes extremely itchy, flaky, and lead to hair loss or when dryness triggers some skin lesions. Dry itchy scalp can be very embarrassing when you can’t control the urge to scratch it in public. There may be various reasons why you acquired dry scalp, so in this article we are going to gather insightful information about the various causes and the home remedies for dry scalp including common associated symptoms.
There wide ranges of conditions or factors that may lead to dry scalp. The resultant symptoms will also differ depending upon such causes. Before we proceed to various dry scalp remedies, we need to have the prior comprehension about the cause and symptoms of dry scalp. This will help to determine the best dry scalp remedies.
- Home remedies
- What to avoid to get rid of this problem
There are several causes of dry scalp, but we want should acknowledge that dry scalp could be due to something happening in the scalp (localized condition) or a condition causing skin dryness to the whole body (generalized condition). They can be internal or external factors as follows:
Internal factors that can cause dry scalp:
- Seborrheic dermatitis
- Scalp psoriasis
- Scalp eczema
- Genetic factors
- Hormonal imbalance
- Age – the older people are prone to dry skin anywhere including the scalp
- Physical or emotional stress
- Certain disorders of the internal organs
- Some diseases such as Parkinson’s and HIV
External Factors causing Dry Scalp:
- Certain medications
- Environmental pollution
- Cosmetic shampoos, soaps and hair treatments
- Changes in temperature or seasons
- Lifestyle factors, such as poor diet or smoking
- Hard waters
- Poor diet i.e. deficiency of vitamin D in the diet
Symptoms for dry scalp will differ depending on the primary causes of dry scalp. They range from mild to severe. Depending on the causes still, dry scalp may have slow or rapid onset. Dry scalp is always nothing to worry about but we have to be extra keen since it may be due to severe veiled skin conditions. Here are the common symptoms occurring alongside dry scalp:
- Raised and reddish skin on scalp
- scaly patches on the skin or scalp
- itchy, flaking skin
- The urge to Scratch may also accompany dry skin
- Bleeding or damaged skin tissue
No matter what is causing your dry scalp, you can still find its solution. There are many over the counter and prescription treatments that can be used to control your dry scalp. Again, before the dry scalp problems could lead to embarrassment or become worrisome, fix it using some effective natural ways. Here, we have explained the best home remedies for dry scalp condition. Try them and have your own testimony!
1. Tea Tree Oil
This is a power and potential natural home product that really suits the treatment of dry scalp. It owes natural anti-inflammation, antibacterial and antifungal properties that can be used to heal dry scalp. This remedy can be applied in many ways including:
- Adding 10-20 drops of tea tree oil to ½ cup of baby shampoo and then use it to improve your scalp condition daily
- Another alternative is to dilute two or three drops of tea tree oil in one tablespoon of vegetable oil and then apply it on the scalp. Regular use of this remedy will relieve the dry skin on scalp within a week or two.
2. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is another natural product recommended for many scalp problems including the dryness. It creates a barrier the will keep the skin moisturized and thus effective product dry scalp. To apply coconut oil:
- Massage coconut oil onto the scalp. This is after washing your hair and scalp thoroughly.
- Leave the oil to rest on your scalp for about 1 hour and then wash it off using perfume free shampoo
- Alternatively, you can heat the coconut oil to melt it and then add it to your shampoo for dry itchy scalp before washing your hair and scalp
3. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar has very excellent and powerful anti-inflammatory characteristics that can potentially do away with yeast and virus that can causes itchy dry scalp. This product also balances the pH of the scalp hence relieving dryness and itchiness. To apply this product:
- Begin by washing your hair and scalp with water and then allow it to dry
- You can then blend equal amounts of apple cider vinegar and water then pour the mixture in the spray bottle
- Apply the prepared mixture directly on your scalp with the aid of the cotton balls. Spray the mixture on your scalp
This remedy should be applied once or twice a week.
4. Witch Hazel
Witch hazel can also provide perfect relieve to dry skin on scalp caused by blow drying or even hair coloring products. It has natural astringent property that can treat dry and very itchy scalp. It is also very capable of reducing the inflammation resulting due to dry scalp.
- Mix one cup of hazel oil with two cups of water
- Massage the solution on the scalp for about 10 minutes
- You can then rinse your hair and scalp thoroughly
- Repeat the process once in 4 days for better result
5. Aloe Vera
This products is what most of our customers refers to as the king of herbs. It is very perfect for dry scalp care. It has been used for years to heal many skin conditions. Aloe gel contains moisturizing and cooling effects which relieves extreme dryness and itchiness. If fresh aloe gel is not available in your area then you can purchase one from over the counter. Here is how aloe vera is applied to treat dry skin on scalp:
- Get fresh aloe vera gel by cutting aloe vera into two and squeezing out the gel
- Spread the gel onto your scalp using your fingers
- You should then allow the gel to sit on the scalp for 10-15 minutes before washing your hair with a mild shampoo
Remember to rewind the remedy once or twice a day until your scalp dryness relieves
Honey is another good natural remedy for dry scalp. It has anti-viral and anti-inflammatory properties to effectively treat dry scalp skin. This is how this ingredient is applied:
- Mix warm1/2 cup of virgin olive oil with 2 tablespoons of honey
- Massage the mixture on your scalp gently
- Leave it there for around 10 minutes
- You can then rinse using herbal Shampoo
- Repeat this procedure regularly
There are many ways in which honey can be used to treat dry scalp among other scalp problems. Apart from using honey with olive oil, coconut oil. Glycerin, vegetable oil and lemon juice can be used too.
7. Baking Soda
This is another effective product among dry flaky scalp remedies and readily available ingredient that can be used to treat dry and itchy scalp at home. It performs its justice by exfoliating the scalp skin and thus controlling the dandruff or anything else on the scalp skin that would lead to dry and itchy scalp. It can also help clear the bacteria that can also contribute to scalp dryness. Here is how baking soda is applied to treat dry skin:
- Prepare a paste by mixing baking soda with water
- You can then apply the remedy directly on the scalp
- If you are sure to get very positive result, then you can massage some olive oil on your scalp before applying the baking soda paste
- Allow the paste to be absorbed on the scalp for around 15 minutes and then wash it off using lukewarm water
This natural product has both antiseptic and moisturizing properties that make it ideal for many skin conditions. It kills bacteria and get rid of dead skin cells that may result to dry scalp. If you have a very sensitive scalp skin, then you can dilute the lemon juice. Lemon juice can be applied alongside honey or coconut oil as follows:
Procedure 1: With Honey
- Start by squeezing a fresh lemon to extract fresh juice
- Mix the juice with honey thoroughly and then massage the mixture gently on the scalp for a few minutes
- You can then rinse using shampoo and water
Procedure 2: With coconut oil
- Warm a cup of coconut oil and then add some few drops of lemon juice
- Apply the mixture on your hair and scalp for about ½ an hour before washing your scalp using clean water
Lemon juice can also be applied alongside Fuller`s Earth or Multani Mitti
Avocado is a natural dry scalp product for treating skin dryness problems. It will also make the scalp hair soft, silky and moisturized, and this is done by ingredients contained in it such as minerals, vitamins and natural oils. To apply avocado on your scalp:
- Begin by mashing one ripe avocado and then mix it with olive oil and 1 tablespoon of honey
- Apply the mixture to your dry scalp
- You then put on a shower cup and leave it to sit for around 30 minutes
- Wash your hair using mild shampoo and water
The main aim of this best remedy for dry scalp is to clear the accumulated dead skin cells and other build-up on the scalp that could lead to dry scalp.
- Add 5 tablespoons of brown sugar to olive oil or any other oil
- You can then apply the scrub on your scalp
- Massage the mixture gently in circular motions
- Rinse your hair normally using water
- Repeat the process regularly for better result
Oats are natural products which are rich in vitamin E which nurtures any dry skin and treat the skin dryness, flaking and itching.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of oatmeal powder and ½ cup of water
- Mix well and then apply the mixture gently on your scalp
- Leave it on your scalp for 30 minutes
- You can then rinse off the mixture using cold water
- You should repeat the procedure 2-3 times daily
11. Fenugreek with Honey
Fenugreek can also be used to treat dry and itchy scalp as well as making the scalp hair to be pretty shiny.
- Mix equal amounts of fenugreek powder and honey (one cup each)
- Massage the mixture on the scalp for 15 minutes and then leave it for 30 minutes
- Rinse it off your scalp using mild shampoo and water
12. Egg Yolk and Olive Oil
You should bear in mind that, to treat dry scalp, we may need more than oil. A mixture of egg yolk and olive will condition and nurture the hair follicles and treat dry scalp. Application procedure of egg alongside olive oil is as follows:
- Mix 2 eggs yolks with 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a bowl
- Whisk the ingredient thoroughly to mix well
- You can then dampen your scalp and hair
- apply the mixture on the scalp
- Leave to the application to rest on your scalp for 15-20 minutes
- Rinse it off using lukewarm water
13. Sesame oil
This is a highly nourishing, lubricating and healing product and hence a better treatment for dry scalp hair loss. It will also provide relief for itchy scalp.
- You will have to heat sesame oil to warm it a bit
- You can then massage the oil on your scalp before resting to your bed. To attain better result, you will massage the oil on the scalp using your fingers for about 10 minutes and then wrap your head for 10 minutes with hot towel before you tire to your bed.
- The very first thing in the morning is to rinse your scalp and hair properly. You should continue to use this remedy until you acquire better result
This is an excellent skin-hydrating, antioxidant and anti-inflammatory agent that will really help to soothe dry and itchy scalp skin. It also contain lactic acid that will help to clear germs and bacteria that may trigger or cause scalp dryness or itchiness.
- Combine ½ cup of yogurt and three teaspoons of mashes or blended papaya.
- You can then stir it in a few drops of honey and lemon juice.
- Apply the mixture on your dry scalp and leave it for 10 minutes.
- Wash it off using cold water
- Do this once in a week until you get your desired result
Just like we had mentioned before, there are many natural remedies that can help treat or relive dry scalp. More natural products include- milk cream, bananas, mayonnaise, castor oil, mustard oil, shea butter, steam, onion, lavender oil, Eucalyptus, lemongrass, rosemary, Indian lilac, thyme, basil and lawsonia leaves, and sage. Get instructions from medical experts or nutritionist or how to apply them.
What to avoid to get rid of this problem
To limit the risk of developing dry scalp, there are certain thighs you should avoid. As a prevention measure of developing dry scalp:
- Avoid constant exposure to the sun or high temperatures
- Avoid leaving shampoo or hair conditioner on your scalp for longer time
- Avoid the use of hot water to rinse your hair
- Avoid frequent washing of your hair since too much exposure to water will sweep away the oil layer leaving a dry scalp
- Avoid using hair dryers to dry your hair
- Avoid using hair styling tools until your scalp dryness is completely treated
- Avoid applying chemicals on your scalp
- Avoid purchasing any shampoo or conditioner without checking the ingredients
- Avoid using dirty brushes and combs you use on your hair
You can also check on your diet. According to homeremediesforlife.com, “Changing your diet can greatly change the condition of your hair or scalp and promotes healthy hair growth.” In addition, make sure you drink plenty water to avoid the wrath of dry scalp
Dry scalp is usually a mild condition that will vanish of its own but when it became chronic, it means it may be due to severe medical conditions and therefore stronger medications may be recommended. When the above home remedies don’t improve your condition, then you can see your doctor for prescription of stronger treatments. Don’t sit at home while your symptoms of dry scalp seems to be chronic or is worsening.
Our List of References
- What Can Make Your Scalp Dry: http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/features/other-causes#1
- Major Causes of A Dry And Itchy Scalp: http://www.eucerin.co.uk/skin-concerns/scalp-and-hair-problems/dry-and-itchy-scalp
- 29 Simple and Effective Home Remedies for Dry Scalp: http://www.homeremedyhacks.com/29-simple-effective-home-remedies-dry-scalp/
- 10 Best Home Remedies To Get Rid Of Dry Scalp: http://www.stylecraze.com/articles/must-follow-tips-to-get-rid-of-dry-scalp/#gref
- Home Remedies for Itchy Scalp: http://www.top10homeremedies.com/home-remedies/top-10-home-remedies-for-itchy-scalp.html
- How to Get Rid of Dry Scalp with Natural Home Remedies: http://homeremediesforlife.com/dry-scalp/
- 29 Home Remedies for Dry Scalp: https://homeremedyshop.com/29-home-remedies-for-dry-scalp/